Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dashing through life

I have sat here long enough and it is time I start my blog.  I had an epiphany the other day.  I realized I am happiest when I am in my car driving.  It doesn't matter the destination, I love to drive.  This of course fuels my travel passion and if I could be on the road traveling with my family, well that would be Heaven. 

How can I achieve this life? is a question I ask myself every day.  I must ask it out load constantly because my kids are wondering the same thing.  This is a blessing because it wasn't that long ago that traveling was a four letter word to them.  Even my husband Rob is now saying this is where I want to go.  I would like to do this or that.  It is music to my ears and I am researching and planning like nobody's business.

I also realize that I am a gypsy.  I don't like the idea of being tied to a house or one place.  I have friends and no matter where I travel in this life they will always be my friends.  My husband says wherever his family is is where he wants to be.  My children are young, 11, 7, 5.  They have not formed lasting friendships yet and I do worry about that.  I do feel though that forming strong family bonds far outweighs childhood friendships and when all is said and done I know my children will have plenty of friends all over this country and hopefully the world.  I strongly feel that the education they will receive will enable them to achieve anything. 

So where am I going with this.  Like so many others who have chosen the nomadic life, so are we.  The economy has taken a toll on our business and thus our home life.  We are burned out and want to decompress and get back to what really matters, our family and enjoying life before it kills us.

I watch so many people work to live and I am not a fan.  I want to enjoy life.  We are conditioned to believe that in order to have a great life you have to get a college education and then immediately get a job that pays well to achieve the American dream, which we all know is dead.  I am not of the school that you must get a job that pays well.  You need to get a job that you love and want to do or it will never be satisfying and you will become another working to live person.  I do believe that you need a college education and you should never stop learning.  I want my children to experience all that life has to offer before they need to become a part of the working world.  They can then use all that they have learned and experienced in their years of traveling to choose their "field of dreams".

There is a poem I stumbled across on a full time RV families blog, Living their dash.  The poem is called "The Dash".  It is the dash between when you were born and when you died.  It represents your life.  It really makes you think.  What have you done?  Did you live your dash the way you wanted?

 Up to this point I have lived what was handed to me.  Now I am going to live what was meant for me.  I am going to make my dash something that I truly enjoy and I truly enjoy traveling.  Along the way I plan to make a difference in the lives of people who are living the cards they were dealt and show them that their is more to life than those cards.  You have to be willing to make your dash something worth living.  You don't need loads of money.  You need to really enjoy making that money.  You need to follow your passions and dreams and recreate your "American Dream".

May our dashes cross on this road of life....

No comments:

Post a Comment